GASIFICATION OF OLIVE MILL WASTE WATER WITH WATER PLASMA
Olive mill waste water “Karasu” is formed as a result of olive oil production. Due to the abundance of organic matter, suspended solids, oil and grease and existence of phenolic compounds, it is a significantly dangerous type of waste water. Since the pollution rate in olive mill waste water is high, its disposal and obtaining of energy from organic compounds (fatty acids, etc.) within should be enabled. In this study, olive mill water waste is used as a raw matter and gasified with water plasma. Obtainable ideal plasma gas composition is theoretically examined and results obtained from experimental studies are compared. In theoretic studies during gasification process four basic reactions were used, compound equivalance has been established and gasification process has been simulated using MATLAB program with conversion balance. Ideal syngaz composition was established at temperatures between 850 – 1000 K working within 0,05-0,7 S (water vapor/dry fuel) ratios. In experimental studies plasma gasification experiments with low mass flow range olive mill waste water feed were performed and in order to examine gas composition gas chromatography analysis was executed. When conclusions of experiments and theoric calculations are compared, results are proven to be consistent and compared to the conventional gasification methods same ratio of syngas compounds have been achieved by plasma gasification at much lower temperatures.
(1) Şengül F, Özer A, Çatalkaya E, Oktav E, Evcil H, Çolak O, Sağer Y. Ebso Projesi Kapsamındaki Zeytinyağı İşletmeleri İçin Durum Tespiti, Karasuyu Karakterizasyonu, Karasu Arıtılabilirlik Çalışmaları Ve Sonuçlar. Dokuz Eylül Üniversitesi Mühendislik Fakültesi Çevre Mühendisliği Bölümü. 2013.
(2) Acun T. Çapraz Akışlı Membran Proseste Zeytin Karasuyun Arıtımının İncelenmesi. Atatürk Üniversitesi Fen Bilimleri Enstitüsü.Yüksek Lisans Tezi.2008:1-10.
(3) Kılıç M, Kaya G, Kestioğlu K. Kimyasal, Biyolojik Ve İleri Arıtma Yöntemleri İle Zeytin Karasuyunun Arıtımına Yönelik Bir Envanter Çalışması. Uludağ Üniversitesi Mühendislik-Mimarlık Fakültesi Dergisi. 2009. 14, 2: 185-187.
(4) Ibrahimoglu B, Vural E.S, Yürek Ş, Demirel O, Plazma Kömür Gazlaştırma, Dünya Enerji Konseyi Türk Milli Komitesi, Türkiye 12. Enerji Kongresi. 2012. Ankara, Turkiye.
(5) İbrahimoğlu B, Yürek Ş, Demirel O. Plazma Yöntemi ile Kömürün Gazlaştırılması. IV. Ulusal Hidrojen Enerjisi Kongresi ve Sergisi, 15–16 Ekim 2009. Kocaeli, Türkiye.
(6)Fridman, A. Plasma Chemistry. Cambridge University Press. 2008: 1-89.
(7) Shin D. H, Hong Y. C, Lee S. J, Kim Y. J, Cho C. H, Ma S. H, Chun S. M, Lee B. J, Uhm H. S. A Pure Steam Microwave Plasma Torch: Gasification of Powdered Coal in the Plasma. Surface & Coatings Technology. 2012: 17552, 4-7.
(8) Janajreh I, Raza S.S, Valmundsson A.S. Plasma gasification process: Modeling, simulation and comparison with conventional air gasification. Energy Conversion and Management. 65, 2013: 801–809.
(9) Heberlein J, Murphy A.B.Topıcal Review Thermal plasma waste treatment. J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys. 41. 2008 :053001 (20pp).
(10) Gomez E, Rani D.A, Cheeseman C.R, Deegan D, Wise M, Boccaccini A.R. Thermal plasma technology for the treatment of wastes: A critical review. Journal of Hazardous Materials 161. 2009: 614–626.
(11) Balgaranova J., “Plasma Chemical Gasification Of Sewage Sludge”, Waste management & research, 2003.
(12) Hrabovsky M., Plasma aided gasification of biomass, organic waste and plastics. 2011. 30th ICPIG, August 28th-September 2nd. Belfast. Northern Ireland. UK.
(13) Değertekin Ö, Hayalioğlu S, Ülker M. Optimum Design Of Nonlinear Steel Space Frames Via Tabu Search Method. Journal Of Engineering And Natural Sciences. 2006/1.
J. Turk. Chem. Soc., Sect. B: Chem. Eng.