Geography Teachers' Job Preferences: A Study on Influence of the High School Geography Teacher

Adem Özder
1.606 593

Abstract


In this research, it is investigated whether the high school geography teachers in the research played a role or not in the selection of geography teaching as a profession. If so the level of this effect and how it has been realized, if not what are the factors affected the profession choices of geography teachers other than the effect of their high school geography teachers were investigated. Research results revealed that almost 61% of the participants stated that their high school geography teachers did not affect their choice of profession while remaining 39% indicated that their high school geography teachers played a role on selecting their professions to a certain level. The participant teachers who think that their high school geography teachers affected their choice of profession underlined the control of their high school geography teachers’ discipline and teaching formation on geography. The other teachers who did not agreed with the idea that their high school teachers played a role on their profession choices explained their choices of geography teaching profession by a number of factors including their interest in geography, family factor, preference mistake in university entrance exams, and chance.

Keywords


Geography teachers, Profession choices, Teacher effect, Geography education

Full Text:

PDF (Türkçe)

References


Brooks, C. (2012). Changing times in England: The influence on Geography teachers’ Professional practice. International Research in Geographical and Environmental Education, 21(4), 297-309.

Demirci, A., Sekin, S., & Ünlü, M. (2002). Mesleki açıdan coğrafyanın önemi ve Türkiye'de kullanımı. Marmara Coğrafya Dergisi, 5(5), 171-185.

Doğanay, H. (2002).Coğrafya öğretim yöntemleri. Aktif Yayınevi, İstanbul.

Ergen, N. & Metin, M. (1982). Türkiye'de meslek eğitimi ve sorunları. Şafak Matbaası, Ankara.

Gümüş, N. & Çapar, T. (2011). Coğrafya öğretmenliği bölümü öğrencilerinin öğretmenlik mesleğine yönelik tutumları. International Online Journal of Educational Sciences, 3(1), 395-410.

Karahan, H. (2005). Ortaöğretim kurumlarında görev yapan Coğrafya öğretmenlerinin diğer öğretmenlerle öğretmenlik tutumları açısından incelenmesi. Yayınlanmamış yüksek lisans tezi, Marmara Üniversitesi Eğitim Bilimleri Enstitüsü, İstanbul.

Karakuyu, M. (2008). Coğrafya eğitiminde öğretmen olmak ve öğretmen kalabilmek. R. Özey, A. Demirci (Ed.), Coğrafya Öğretiminde Yöntem ve Yaklaşımlar içinde (s. 341-363). Aktif Yayınevi, İstanbul

Kılınç, Y. (2013). Geography teacher candidates’ competencies of using geography teaching methods and techniques in a sample class environment. The International Journal of Social Sciences, 13(1), 76-91.

Kılınç, Y., & Ateş, M. (2013). Üniversite öğrencilerinin coğrafya bölümlerini tercih etmelerinde lise coğrafya öğretmenlerinin etkisi. Marmara Coğrafya Dergisi, 28, 47-63.

Özder, H., Konedralı, G., & Zeki, C. P. (2010). Öğretmen adaylarının öğretmenlik mesleğine yönelik tutumlarının çeşitli değişkenler açısından incelenmesi. Educational Administration: Theory and Practice, 16(2), 253-275.

Öztürk, M., & Eroğlu, E. (2013). Coğrafya öğretmen yeterlikleri ve uygulamaların değerlendirilmesi. Marmara Coğrafya Dergisi, 27, 630-659.

Sezer, A. (2010). Turkish geography student teachers’ concerns towards the teaching profession. Educational Research and Reviews, 5(12), 788-793.

Solem, M., Cheung, I., & Schlemper, M. B. (2008). Skills in Professional geography: an assessment of work force needs and expectations. The Professional Geographer, 60(3), 356-373.

Solem, M., Kollasch, A., & Lee, J. (2013). Career goals, pathways and competencies of geography graduate students in the USA. Journal of Geography in HigherEducation, 37(1), 92-116.

Şahin, C. (2001). Orta öğretim coğrafya öğretmenlerinin mesleki sorunları hakkında bir araştırma. Marmara Coğrafya Dergisi, 3(2), 59-70.

Tamilenthi, S., & Mohanasundaram, K. (2011). High school geography teachers: profession commitment and profession perspectives. International Journal of Current Research, 3(5), 154-159.




Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.

ISSN:2148-9068